[Jacob-list] wooly eye

Karen Askounis, DVM countylinepets at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 8 15:03:28 EDT 2008

Hi list members

I have a kind a survey for you. I had one lamb this year with a dermoid. It
is an area at the edge of the cornea (at the junction of the clear area and
white area of the eye)that is growing wool. These occur in many species.
They contain the wrong cell types for the area and usually grow hair or in
this case wool. I found a reference that it is inherited in Hereford cattle
but is not considered inherited in dogs. Our local ophthalmologist has
removed one from a Jacob in the past but could not find an answer in her
references regarding whether this would be considered inheritable. Well we
will not be using him for breeding just in case but I thought I would see if
any of you have had this occur and if so did you recognize is as more
frequent in certain lines etc..

Karen Askounis
kaskounis at threefatesjacobs.com