[Jacob-list] broken tails

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 21:59:06 EST 2008

Sharon,

My advice would be to band the ewe's tail where the break is and give her a Tetanus shot when you do it. The tail below the band will dry up and fall off.

Carl

Sharon Hill <sharonehill at yahoo.com> wrote:
I sure wish I knew how my sheep broke their tails. I
don't even know when it happened. I just started
noticing that one ewe lamb had an extra long tail when
she was about 6 months old. I was thinking that if I
registered my animals, she would not pass. Then I
noticed it hung down limply when she was just standing
and walking around, and it swung around wildly while
she ran about and cavorted. I found that the bone is
broken clean through. It is like the bone is inside a
long sock.

Before I quit docking tails I would leave them fairly
long, for a docked tail. It would completely cover
the private areas. I found when shearing a wether
last year that his docked tail was broken! I have no
idea of how that could have happened. He is about 5
years old, and it wasn't broken last year. It isn't
noticable like the other one. They are definitely not
causing the animals any discomfort. I am just worried
about the one that is almost touching the ground. I
am wondering if I should have the vet take it off. I
know I am not up to it.

Sharon Hill

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com