[Jacob-list] Horn Genetics and a Feed Question

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Feb 29 06:06:27 EST 2008

I have noticed that good scientist never say "always" and "never". Unfortunately, I am not a good scientist, but most of what I say should be prefaced with "probably".

I should have said that we breed for medium distance between the horns. What we are really selecting for is the shape of the head. However, Neither should we be selecting for larger and larger horns. Our flock does not have robust horns, but we have never had a case of OCD either.

In some ways, the selection of "proper" two-horned sheep is not the same as in four-horn sheep. The ram that we used that produced the most SUED also produced the most perfect two-horned ram I have ever seen. His horns swept out in a double curl and were over 30 inches from tip to tip. He also sired forward swept horns, even though his own horns looked OK. On closer inspection, there was considerable distance between the horns on the side.

We don't know what type of position expression to expect with a mating of 2 and 4 horn types. We can have SUED in a heterozygous sheep. In fact, I have seen SUED in a polled crossbred ram.

The polycerate gene appears to be a simple dominant to the two horn condition. This is similar to brown eyes in humans. If we have even one of the two melanin producing alleles at the melanin-for-eye locus, then we will have brown eyes. Only those of us with two defective alleles will have blue eyes.

B,B = brown eyes (homozygous brown)
B, notB (b) = brown eyes (heterozygous brown)
b,b = blue eyes (homozygous blue)
If we mate (B,B) X (B,b) all offspring will be Brown eyed, but 50% will pass on the defective gene
If we mate (B,b) X (B,b) repeatedly, 75% will be brown eyed and 25% will be blue eyed and 50% will be heterozygous

Those of us with grey, green or golden eyes have a second gene interfering with the expression of these primary types. Also, (Betty, is there a theological term for "God laughs"?) there IS a rare recessive brown gene. Life is ALWAYS more complicated than we would like for it to be.

Polycerate in sheep works much the same way. Mating two heterozygous Jacobs will produce two-horned offspring 25% of the time. The catch is, we do not know that the animal is heter before hand, Likewise, I have seen two horned ewes mated to several four-horned rams before they ever produced a multi-horned lamb. Also, I suspect that there are secondary genes that muck up the works.

Feed:
1) You must find a mineral that states the copper level. Every decent mineral supplier over here on the humid coast does so. Go forth and complain. As an alternative, get dicalcium phosphate and feed grade lime and make your own mineral. That and salt will take care of the vast majority of the sheep's needs.

2) Yes, sheep can eat cottonseed, but it is high in fat. Feed less than what you would feed grain. You will need a good forage source as the primary feed.

Cottonseed hulls, on the other hand make an excellent forage substitute for those of us who are running out of hay. They are highly digestible fiber, but can be used to self-limit intake of other ingredients.

Neal Grose