[Jacob-list] Buying Adult Rams

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 21:19:22 EST 2008

What state do you live in?

Gotothewhip at aol.com wrote: I put some thought into this...... I am aware of the Hunting Market for the Jacobs.....

But I am concerned about the perception of buying a "Big 4 horn Ram" I would hope folks are not thinking I am looking to hunt them... I do agree we need to be careful in selling adult rams..... But as a relatively new Jacob breeder, I would prefer to purchase adult, proven rams.

Buying a 4 horn ram lamb can be a risky task.. Not knowing if he will fuse, the direction of his horn growth, or what he will produce! I lucked out and got a nice one (Thanks Mickey) with a guarantee..... But this really is a risky purchase...

Add to that a small gene pool inside the Jacob breed.... Hanging onto these rams until we are dominated by a herd sire's daughters.

I'm as guilty as anyone else at enjoying owning these big boys.... and am fortunate enough to have a family member with a few grade ewes out of state, that can utilize my nice big rams to breed to.... and they have awesome facilities to boot (All the rams have a horse run in and exercise pens as it they used to have lots of horses....)

But my point is... I am shopping for a nice big 4 Horn ram, that is a delight to look at, but is a proven producer of show type lambs... and is a fresh bloodline.....actually I could use more than one because of the number of ewes I now have!!!!!!

I think as breeders we need to turn loose of these rams, to keep our gene pool a bit "deeper"

I guess my background in Horse breeding is surfacing!

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com