[Jacob-list] Polled ewes

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Feb 23 09:02:31 EST 2008

The phenotype difference between hornless and polled is that polled ewes will have an indentation at the poll or a small scur in the indentation (keratin only). Hornless ewes have a smooth head. There should be no hornless rams. Rams from female-hornless breeds should have robust horns.

Genetically, polled is dominant in most breeds, recessive in American Polled Dorsets. I have seen polled crossbreds that produced 4-horned offspring.

I suspect that hornless is either recessive or incomplete dominance. This may explain why some ewes may have smallish, fragile horns. Hornless is typical in Shetlands.

Hornless is probably a hold-over from the northern European piebald sheep that were mixed with Southern European Merino and/or North African derived piebald sheep to form the Jacob's Sheep Purebred that we enjoy today.

Quite frankly my dear Linda, your opinions are as good as most of my facts.

Neal