[Jacob-list] I agree with Sue's daughter

R. Unzicker runzicker at verizon.net
Wed Feb 20 07:43:27 EST 2008

Hi Gail,
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is yet another reminder that we all
need to be careful how we sound on the internet. It is so easy to fire
something off, then reread it a day later and want to crawl in a hole. I
have been there unfortunately. As you stated, the most important thing is
to preserve the breed. For me, one of the issues with unregistered
flocks is that, if they are not registered, it is very difficult to keep
track of this rare breed. In no way to me does it mean these sheep or
their breeders are inferior. More than once I have become aware of
unregistereed sheep but found it impossible or very difficult to trace who
they were. This is especially true if the said sheep go back to some of
the first Jacobs imported in to our country. It is valuable to know who
these sheep are.

I also know I have sold some sheep that represented some of the older
lines. They were ones I hoped would be in our regtistry. When they or
their offspring do not find their way into our regiatry I always feel a
little regretful, only because we then have no way of keeping track of them.
I often encourage breeders to register at least some of their sheep if for
whatever reason they are not inclined to go through the process with all of
them. With rare breeds, I feel it is good to try to keep some genetic
distance between breeding animals when possible. If we do not know who the
sheep are, it is not easy to know if we are doing this. Registraton also
is a good way for ALBC and breed specific assocaitions to know how many
animlas of a certain breed are in existance. Many breeder have taken it
upopn themselve to register any animals before they sell them.
But, back to your comment, the most important thing is tyo keep the breed
going.
Royal