[Jacob-list] Fwd: JACOB SHEEP

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Feb 18 17:19:09 EST 2008

I bought my first Jacob Sheep, a ram, with the intention to use him on my handspinner's flock to add color. I had absolutely no plan at the time to raise purebred sheep and figured I'd be raising crossbred sheep for as long as I had sheep. That was 15 years ago and the last crossbred sheep left here 13 years ago. You never know what's going to happen when you sell a sheep. Maybe this guy will get into raising Jacobs along with his Painted Deserts. It only took one Jacob for me to be hooked! Or maybe he just wants a spectacular eye catching ram.

On the other hand, we see way too many breeders that jump into gathering a good sized flock of registered sheep only to tire of sheep in a few years and run everything through a sale.

8 years ago, I asked one of the original Jacob breeders if he thought an emphasis on fleece would be harmful to the preservation of the breed. He answered that anything that makes breeders want to raise Jacobs can't help but be beneficial to the breed - whether it be fleeces for the handspinner's market or rams for the hunt market.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com