[Jacob-list] Heat lamps... A few questions

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 17:18:26 EST 2008

Once the wool gets dry on the lambs and they get warm milk in their bellies they shouldn't need heat, but if it will make you feel better go ahead. Just hang them high enough that the ewe's horns can't hit it and make sure it is fastened securely enough that it won't fall into the straw if it should get banged.

Congratulations on your babies!
Carl

Gotothewhip at aol.com wrote:
I KNOW I don't NEED to hang one.... But I think I may sleep a little better knowing we are getting single digits tonight, and the ewe lamb is pretty tiny....

My Huge, dairy cow like Maiden Ewe lambed twins yesterday (2-13) while it was 65 degrees out.. I am so thankful for her timing.....But, We are going to get pretty cold tonight.. I think 4 is what is predicted for my area.....They are inside my horse barn , bedded in straw... But I have a few heat lamps, and since I already have them, I thought it might do my heart some good to hang them tonight.

How close do I want to put them.. I'm thinking 4 1/2 ft? IS this reasonable? I just want to take the chill out of the air.. not really warm them up too much

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, CO

Carl and Judy Fosbrink