[Jacob-list] Off farm Full time job- Lambing time management???

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Aug 29 07:48:24 EDT 2008

I've heard that too, but I've been feeding my sheep at the same time every day for 15 years and they still lamb at different times. Although MOST of mine do lamb politely during day light hours, so maybe feeding times does affect them somewhat. Definitely not 100%,though. I read on a Shetland site somewhere that if they aren't in labor (or showing signs of impending labor) by 11pm, they will probably not lamb until first light. Around here, that has been true.

Whether or not all the ewes catch in only two/three weeks here with the rams depends on when I put them together. If I wait until mid or late October, everyone catches by the second cycle and most on the first cycle. Maybe because of our Georgia hot summers, the catch rate is only about 60% in mid September.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com

I've heard that you can feed animals at a certain time of day to
manipulate the time at which they give birth. I've found, though that it
really depends on the animal. Some are just destined to go at 3AM...

> On Thu, August 28, 2008 1:29 pm, Lynette Frick said:

>> Ok, this may sound like a strange question, but how do those of you who

>> work

>> completely off the farm manage lambing time?

> With v-e-r-y little sleep.

> Most of ours choose to lamb during what I would like to think of as

> sleeping time, usually between about 1 am and dawn. So I generally hope

> everyone bred in the first cycle and it will be over soon.

> Susan

> --

> See our farm blog at http://skepweaver.wordpress.com/

> --