[Jacob-list] Off farm Full time job- Lambing time

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 28 19:26:34 EDT 2008

>Ok, this may sound like a strange question, but how do those of you who

work

>completely off the farm manage lambing time? Oh, and come to think about

it,

>breeding season too (I think I remember someone saying they only have the

>ram in for two weeks)? I'm just curious, as this may be me next spring...

so

>any hints and tips would truly help.

>Thank you in advance,

>Lynette Frick

=========
Well, if you are really dedicated....this is how some friends of ours do
it. Work on getting all the ewes to cycle at the same time so they ALL
become pregnant at the same time. Then figure out when the lambs are due
and take that time for your two-week vacation. It works!! Sure enough,
90% of the lambs are born during these two weeks in the spring. I don't
know how exactly they get the ewes to get pregnant at the same time, but it
can be done. Maybe they keep the ram away and then use a "teaser ram" to
get the ewes to cycle together. Yes, I think it involves a teaser ram, but
perhaps a cloth with the ram's scent will do. Google "teaser ram" on the
Internet for more info.

I guess our friends don't take a vacation to Disney Land or the lake or
where ever, they are at the farm lambing instead. Actually, they did that
for many years, but last year the wife quit her job to work out of the home
so she is around during lambing time.

Good Luck!
Cathy