[Jacob-list] Olivia update

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Aug 27 19:42:48 EDT 2008

Today Olivia has real pellets - still slightly soft, but close to normal. Monday she received her second round of Sustain (which is a time release sulfamethazine). I realized that I had underdosed on the kaolin (was using a dog dosage) on Sunday, so on Monday, she also got two doses of 4 ounces each of Kaolin.

Some of the suggestions I received privately were:
whipworms, which do not always show up in a flotation fecal egg count - needs to be centrifuged, which we didn't do. Would have done that if the sustain didn't work.
Clostridium was mentioned. Olivia is up to date on her shots, but clostridium could have caused the upset and was something I'd thought about. I've read that many undiagnosed ailments may be clostridium. I tend to think that the CDT is mostly for tetanus and need to be reminded that it protects against more than tetanus.
Irritable bowel syndrome was jokingly suggested, but who knows - maybe sheep do get ibs.

This has gone on with Olivia for over three weeks. No other sheep has exhibited anything except normal pellets. Olivia is "cured", but I still can't say for sure just what she had. Sometimes you just got to be satisfied with recovery :-)

Linda
Where we have received over 9" of rain in the last two days!!

www.patchworkfibers.com