[Jacob-list] diarrhea in sheep

Gooch guschi73 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 22:21:14 EDT 2008

If you test for Johnes- use the ELISA test rather than the CF or AGID test. It's a slightly better test. We use the tests frequently at work (cattle) and while we do get a few false positives with the ELISA, we get more false negatives with the other tests. And a Johnes Fecal only indicates if the animal is shedding at the time of sampling- unless you have the lab run a PCR on all samples (positive or negative). This would pick up any dead organisms that are in the feces.

What about Cryptosporidium or Giardia spp? Some animals are more susceptible than others.

http://www.organic-vet.reading.ac.uk/Sheepweb/disease/crypt/crypt1.htm

Karen's animals are now all healthy and well! I have some of her ewes- the oldest one lambed this spring at age 11!

Shel

~ Goochland Acres ~

~ Asylum Farm ~