[Jacob-list] Polioencephalomalacia

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 22 13:56:04 EDT 2008

========

>From what I have heard and read, in the advanced stages the vet will insert

an IV (directly in the veins) solution of B-Complex vitamins and perhaps
something else. If the animal recovers, there is the possibility of
permanent damage such as blindness. Even in the advanced stages I would
first give a quick injection of B-Complex and then call the vet or in my
case take the sheep to the WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital in nearby
Pullman, WA. Now if I see a sheep wobbly on it's feet, it gets a shot of
B-Complex. I'm not waiting for the 'star-gazing' symptoms.

One other point about PEM, when it occurs only one sheep is affected, not
the entire herd. If the entire herd is wobbly on their feet it would not
be PEM, maybe they just tapped into a misplaced keg of beer ;-)

Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho