[Jacob-list] Raw goat's milk vs. lamb formula?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 16:12:06 EDT 2008

--Sue wrote:

>My question is this - if I continue to supplement would it be better for

the lamb to use raw goat's milk rather than the regular lamb milk >replacer
formula? I plan to only use the colostrum for the first 3 days or so. I do
have a local source of raw goat's milk.
My ewes never had triplets, but I do know shepherds who supplement all
triplets or, at least, the one that is not getting enough and is pushed
away by the others. They use the lamb formula milk replacer because it is
not the sole source of milk. If the substitute is the sole source of
nutrition then the goat's milk is best. The bottle babies that I raised
couldn't tolerate the commercial milk replacer and they would get the
scours. I had to buy fresh goat's milk every time.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho