[Jacob-list] Fw: Split Eyelids, More questions

R. Unzicker runzicker at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 08:38:31 EDT 2008

I have had several rams that were champions in the show ring. Some I bought from other breeders as ram lambs. None of these came from parents who were shown. I also raised some that did very well in the show ring. However, I do not purchase a sheep because I think they will do well in the show ring. I buy or keep rams I have raised that give me diversity of blood lines, that I think will complement my ewes, and ones that I personally like because of their horns set, markings, temperament etc. I have been known to sacrifice one of these traits if I really liked everything else about a particular ram.

Who I happen to own at the time of the show usually determines who I show. I show to promote and advertise the breed, not to win in the ring. I usually sell any ram lambs I raise if I have a buyer so who is left here is who may get shown. This means that occasionally I come in near the bottom but I think it is more important to support the various shows so I show what I have. If I buy a ram lamb, I do not usually sell them. Although I did sell one I had bought only months before because a teenage breeder needed a ram and everything I had left was related to his flock. That ram lamb was named a champion ram, beating out my own yearling. Not sure who was happier, the young man who showed Meridian Emmett or myself at seeing the pride this young man took in his Jacobs!

I have shown a ram with a split eye lid. Not proud of that but that is what I had at the time. I didn't expect him to be champion but so many judges do not know Jacobs and probably never heard of a split eye lid. I really do not like splits but I liked everything else about the ramand he passed inspection so I decided to use him. None of his offspring had split eye lids. I think I was just lucky though. I also showed a two horned ram that I really liked. I had never kept a two horned ram before. That is how much I liked him. He was champion several times. Great ram in all respects except one. When we did a sperm count on him, he had twelve sperm, all dead. Interesting side note is that his twin was champion ewe more than once also. She was bred to lamb as a two year old. She was the only ewe that did not conceive this year. So much for bring a champion! My point to all this is, buy the ram that you think is best for your flock. Do not buy just because a particular animal won in the show ring.
Royal