[Jacob-list] Hay

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 22:55:56 EDT 2007

USDA has a hay-net website
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=online&subject=landing&topic=hay

I talked to our FSA guy Steve Ruhl in Morrow Co OHIO - he says that we can ask CRP people to cut fields after July 15 for forage. Someone also suggested we can chop and bale cornstalks after the corn harvest. There are 60-day beet annuals that can still be planted to get a Nov crop some places maybe (in your pastire if you move sheep out. I live near a guy with horses that uses round bales and he seems to be finding old supplies stashed in barns.

Sorry about any typing errors - had eye surg Tues and can't see well with or without glasses! Will get better thi.

Katherine Wisor <creeksendfarm at mac.com> wrote:
A weeks ago I went to my usual hay source 45 min from here. They told me they ran out of hay and are getting it from Kanas for $180 a large sq bale what 4x4 by 8 ft. They were selling off their cows . I called every one I could think of a sm bale of corse junk is $4. They leave most of it on the ground. Grain has gone up another dollar . The guy who told the majority of my animals in the spring has found round bales in Tenn, but their wells are drying up in the Mountains here in NC so he can't take the rest of my animals . I'm in Charlotte and have no idea how to feed them thru the winter if we don't get more rain. Any body do rain dances cheap? Katherine Wisor, Creeks end farm