[Jacob-list] Hay

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Sep 18 21:56:59 EDT 2007

Here in NE Georgia, we are on the border of an exceptional drought situation. I think Cathy's area is in the same drought area. Exceptional meaning that this is a drought that we would expect to see once in a hundred years. We are over 15" behind in rainfall and 20+ behind in the number of rainfall days from last year - when we were in a extreme drought. The number of rainfall days really hurts the pasture. When we moved here, 18 years ago, the average rainfall was over 70 inches. The most we saw was over 90 inches. So far, it's 35 inches for this year. The good news is that if this in a once in a 100 years drought, next year should be better!

For some undeserved and fortuitous reason, the desperate hay situation here has really eased off. The rain came at the right time and the dry came at the right time. There will be a third cutting in our county. The first cutting was really dismal. The second cutting was really good. We picked up a few square bales out of the field today from our round bale supplier. He doesn't do square bales unless he has someone wanting to get them from the field. Today, there were trucks and tractor trailers waiting in line for the square bales. We snuck in for our two loads in our little Ford Ranger :-) to supplement the round bales.

We have a bit over 200 square bales stored, two round bales (about 900 lbs each) tucked in the barn, and hopefully a supply of round bales available if we need them. We don't have much space to store round bales, but every time we have a space to fit one, we go get one.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com