[Jacob-list] Sold Jacobs returning!

Joseph Laughlin phl2jdl at msn.com
Mon Sep 17 12:42:26 EDT 2007

I have taken back 4 sheep (Jacob and otherwise). I paid for one. I try to sell my stock to farms that have standards similar to mine regarding care and testing of their animals; nevertheless, I quarantine them and test them for OPP before allowing them to rejoin the flock. The returns were triggered by personal problems of the owner, not because of the animal. I take them back because I know their breeding - mine- and the quality of the animal and because I think I can use them. I personally have a hard time letting a quality animal go to the butcher or auction because of a people problem if I can give it a home or find it a home.

On another note, we try to halter break all of our sheep, rams and ewes. (If they aren't halter broke it's our fault because we just ran out of time to work with them!) It makes it much more easy to handle them and to move them. I can easily move several sheep with one hand holding their leashes if they are halter broke. This is especially helpful at shows and fairs, at lambing time, etc. Our Jacob ram does not like to be pulled or pushed anywhere but put him on a leash and he will follow you peacefully anywhere!

With regard to genetic testing for scrapie resistance, so far we tested the three adult rams we had on the premises. The two rare breeds (Jacob and Horned Dorset) are RR. The Border Leicester-Corriedale x is QR. We plan to test more of the flock this fall when the state vet draws blood for the annual OPP test and use the results when deciding on breeding.
Jo Ann