[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 16

Gooch guschi73 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 08:55:59 EDT 2007

Regarding the Mandatory Scrapie program- I have a feeling a word was missing from Mick's sentence- I think it was supposed to read "you don't have to TEST", but I could be wrong.

The Mandatory program= tags only when leaving your farm and carcasses may be checked at slaughter; Voluntary program = test and tag by producer for 5 years to achieve "free" status, then only tag as needed.

Voluntary flocks don't need to be closed, but they can only obtain ewes from other certified flocks. Rams can be acquired from either type of flock (ewes are the ones that transmit the disease).

Here's the fact sheet for the voluntary program:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_diseases/scrapie/downloads/vsfcp.pdf

Shel

~ Goochland Acres ~

~ Asylum Farm ~

wrong! you do have to. there's been a MANDAYORY scrapie program
for several years now! you dob\n't have to sign up for the voluntary
program, which is more comprehensive and requires a closed fkock, but MANDATORY
means MANDATORY! SORRY ABOUT TYPINGM USING OINE FINGER, BROKEN WRIST,AMONG
OTHER THINGS. GOOGLE APHIS TO FIND OUT WHAT YPU HAVE TO DO FOR MANDATORY
PROGRAM.