[Jacob-list] Concerned about ram

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 10:13:09 EDT 2007

I purchased a Spring Ram lamb this year.. He is WONDERFUL.. but SOMETHING is
going on ... The local vet advised Pen-G injections but I'm concerned I'm
not being aggressive enough.

Sherman banged up his drop horn on Friday.. a tiny bit of blood.. It was a
bit wiggly.. and he seemed very sensitive about it. The bumping around at the
hay feeder didn't look like it felt good, so I gave him a little pile of hay
away from the others.

He seemed to perk up and feel more normal Sat and Sunday.. Then Sunday..
wasn't too interested in eating, and there was another little bit of blood at
the base.. I figured he re bumped it, and was sore again.

We separated him off with 2 of the smaller ram lambs. Last night... we took
his temp. as he really seemed depressed. He wasn't interested in grain..
something he LOVES.

His temp was 105.7 gum color is good..

We gave him 1 cc of Banamine orally. his temp is down to 103.5 this AM..
still high.. but better.

Any advice on what could be going on? Is Pen-G a good option here.. or
shouldn't we first find out what the cause is?????

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn.
Bennett, CO