[Jacob-list] Insulated Waterers

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 10:32:53 EDT 2007

Wow - I have electric at the barn but none in the out-pastures. I just got a generator in case the power goes - like in 05 for almost a week.

I like tthose soft kickable rubber buckets for ease of breaking up ice. I use tank de-icers when power is on. The hard plastic buckets will break in the cold if absed. My friend Gene used to say that they CAN eat snow.

Beryl Schwartz <beryl5145 at wirelessbeehive.com> wrote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }

All,

As the nights are getting colder, it’s not too early to start thinking about winter. Last year, when I only had five ewes and a llama, I brought out two buckets of hot water from the kitchen twice a day. Now, I have eight ewes, one wether, one llama, and I’ll be getting two Nubian wethers. I need a better method of watering. My barn has no electricity and is more than 100’ away. I have thought about putting the water in an insulated cooler and moving it by sled to a spot near the barn. (I never put water in the barn, except during storms, because exercise during pregnancy is good.) Any ideas out there?
Thanks,

Beryl Schwartz
Stockton, Utah