[Jacob-list] what carders should I purchase?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Oct 17 20:35:24 EDT 2007

Hey Paige,

Are you coming to SAFF (http://www.saffsite.org) in Asheville next weekend? There will be a pretty good assortment of all sorts of fiber prep tools. When I first learned to spin, my instructor gave me some washed fiber and told me to fluff it up abit by hand and spin it. I learned to spin on uncarded fiber and since I couldn't afford hand carders at the time (but I got a spinning wheel for a Christmas present), I just kept on with spinning "fluffed up" fiber. Even though I now have a PG Supercard and a PG Triple Picker, I spin a lot of uncarded fiber. One of my favorite yarns is a sportweight yarn that begins with reaching into a bag of washed fiber, spinning that, and then Navajo plying (I love Navajo plying). I'm currently spinning cashmere in three colors which I will Navajo ply. Cashmere, dog wool, and Angora rabbit are easier to spin directly from the fiber than from roving. (but I don't recommend them for a newbie spinner) You can also take washed wool, draw it out, and wrap it around a knitting needle to make a rolag. Or draw it out into a presentable/spinable roving. Or use a $3 dog comb to comb your wool. There are many low cost ways to prepare your wool for spinning.

If you are coming to SAFF, stop by the Patchwork/Perfect Spot booth (#58) and I'll show you some easy/inexpensive ways to prepare your fiber.

Linda
Who hates to hand card!

www.patchworkfibers.com