[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Mon Oct 15 16:30:38 EDT 2007

Here's a pasture question: We live in southeast PA, zone 6........when is the best time to top seed my pastures? Fall or Spring? I have heard either way.......is it too late in the Fall to do it now? My concern now would be that the seed would start to germinate and then get hit with a hard frost, or doesn't that matter? If I seed now, is it possible the seed just lays around all winter and with the freeze/thaw effect of the soil it will work it's way into cracks and fissure and germinate in the spring? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I have two meadows with a terrible infestation of crab grass......I don't mind the sheep eating that but in the heat of summer the crab grass dies and we have nothing but dirt.......right now the fall crab grass is growing gang busters.........but the frost will kill it back and those areas will be mud..........so, can I top seed these meadows now? Should I use a pre-emergent for crab grass control in the spring? Any ideas?
Sue