[Jacob-list] last fertile date question

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 09:38:38 EST 2007

Hi Jacob ListersA question for all of you -- how late are the ewes fertile?
My own experience is that some breeding happened until mid December. Am
wondering because I am cutting back on size of breeding this year partly
because of the drought's affect on my pastures and partly because I had such
a huge number (for me anyway) of lambs this year -- with 35. I have in the
past put all the flock back together in January but have set things up so I
can keep boys and girls separate with two feeders if necessary.

I also am trying a different method of selecting my first breeding group
this year. I just set up my primary flock sire (Bideawee Maurice) with 8
ewes but I actually just opened a gate to let the ewes pick who wanted in
with him : ) Actually I am not breeding any of the lamb ewes so avoided any
daughters with him. I did keep some out that wanted in but an interesting
group. Some of my 'best' ewes in terms of fleece and lamb quality! hmmm

Will rely on my younger ram lambs and progeny tests for the remainder of the
season hopefully into December.

take care all
Ralene

--