[Jacob-list] Re : Breeding question

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Thu May 31 18:45:03 EDT 2007

<< I wanted to know if I could breed my sheep in November? And still have
all of them conceive? >>

Hi Marie, I couldn't resist commenting here. I live in Great Britain, which
is where Jacobs have lived for several hundred years - let's not go to where
they came from before that. Here, the natural time to put ewes with the
ram is November so that they lamb in April, when the temperatures are
usually rising and the fresh grass is coming through. Breeding outside that
time is going against their natural cycle, although where the climate is
suitable Jacobs are perfectly happy to perform in some other months (perhaps
because of wherever they did originate). We have always put our rams in on
Nov 5th (Bonfire Night) and the Jacobs usually lamb within the first couple
of weeks of April and they have always all conceived. (Incidentally, there
is some evidence that some primitive breeds which come from the north of
Britain, Scandinavia and Iceland , where spring comes later, naturally breed
later than this date, and keep that tendency even though they have lived in
Britain for many generations)

In Britain, many Jacob breeders like their flock to lamb in January, not
because this suits the sheep but to get larger lambs for the sales in
August. To do this successfully, the ewes must be housed in a warm barn and
of course there will be no fresh grass for them until the lambs are 3 months
old so there could be a problem with milk production. Up here in Scotland,
many sheep breeders who lamb on the hill, do not lamb until May because the
weather is too severe even in April. I think New York state would be as
severe as the Scottish Highlands, perhaps more so.
When did you lamb this year ?
Better luck next year - you must have been so sad to lose all those lovely
spotty lambs.
Juliet