[Jacob-list] premature lamb

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Thu May 24 12:42:54 EDT 2007

so we are lambing late this year and our first ewe delivered a single dead
female this morning, i went out to do the chickens and there it was in the
sac, she was still laying down, then she got up leaving the lamb, i went
over and did my best but it died. It never actually lived, no breathing on
its own, but their was a faint heart beat and while that went on i rubbed
her and did CPR.

So it was a week or two early. it was the ewe's first. 3 pounds 2 oz. the
toes were not firm yet, but were jelly-like.

it is really hot and the mosquitos are a menace could it have been brought
on by stress?

Do big animals carry for longer? my herd queen in 120+ pounds and was bred
first, is bagged up and due the 31st. The one today I did not even think
was pregnant. but she is only 60-70 pounds, very petite. Should i watch
her sisters the next few days? or think this was a fluke?

tom