[Jacob-list] wounds from dog bite

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 16:38:17 EDT 2007

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear of your dog attack. I hope you were able to eliminate the dog.
I am a great believer in Neosporin Plus triple antibiotic ointment, or the generic equivalent at Walmart. The plus part is a pain reliever so it not only heals, but relieves pain. We used to get an infected ear once in awhile when we ear tagged sheep, but never have since we started putting it on the tags when we put them in. I use it on all our animals now and myself too and it works great.

Carl in Indiana

redwoodshop at comcast.net wrote:
THis is my first submission to jacob-list, but I have been reading the submissions for about a year. Hello to everyone.

Now straight to the problem. I have a young ewe that has several wounds from a dog attack. None of the wounds require emergency veterinary care. I have clipped the wool around the wounds and am keeping them clean. Many people have given me advice as to what products to use. I have peroxide, scarlet oil, and also a spray to clean the wound and keep the flies away I am not in the barn right now so I can not recall the name. I would be happy to get the impute for other jacob listers as to what works, doesn't work etc.

SHe is drinking water, not eating right now. She has been vaccinated for tetanus and I have penicillin G. I have isolated her in a clean cool area. ANy additional information would be appreciated.

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com