[Jacob-list] fly strike

Sharon Hill sharonehill at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 23:59:23 EDT 2007

There was talk a while back about whether or not to
dock tails to avoid fly strike. I stopped docking a
few years ago, so I have examples of both docked and
undocked tails in my flock. Today I discovered my
first case of fly strike ever, and it is in a ewe with
a docked tail. Strangely enough, it was right at the
base of the tail, almost on her back. Seems it had
nothing to do with the tail at all, so I guess this
experience proves absolutely nothing about the tail
docking issue. But I guess it does show that fly
strike can happen in other areas.

I also wanted to mention an observation I have made
about horns in a couple of my sheep. They were 4
horned, but the laterals were never firmly attached to
the skull and they fell off in early lambhood. It was
my understanding that those would be scurs. Now, a
year later, the laterals have grown in again, and
firmly this time, but they are only about 1 inch long.
One of the sheep is a ewe, the other a wether. Does
anyone know what this means? Are they scurs or not? I
didn't plan to breed the ewe because of this, but if
they are not scurs, would it be ok to breed her? I
don't want to pass on the scur gene if it is there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sharon Hill