[Jacob-list] ram jumpers

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Mon May 14 14:39:33 EDT 2007

I had a ram once who jumped one fence to get in with the lambs I didn't want bred. Unfortunately for him, when he jumped, he landed in the middle of the next (electronetting) fence, and scared himself to death. I learned that I have to triple fence, but that the fences need to be at least 6' from each other, so that if there's a jumper he doesn't jump over one fence into another. I always have a fence for keeping the ewes in place, one for the rams, and one other one between the other two fences. Actually, that's most of the time during winter months. This year, I made a new pen for the rams out of cattle fencing 5' high. I didn't bother putting the third fence between the other two, and thank God, I had no problems. No one tried to jump the fence.
Betty, in Vermont,who now has a blog, thanks to help from Walter and Linda. See Betty's blog at http://sheepwoman.wordpress.com.