[Jacob-list] Naming

Leigh Nelson shmee1 at mail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:29:12 EDT 2007

Our farm is named Bent Willow Farm. The naming process was a very long
affair for me and was based upon the Black Willow tree located at the end
of our driveway that is bent all sorts of different ways. I could have
named it Black Willow farm but figured it sounded too much like Black
Widow (like the spider!). As for naming sheep I have had very little
experience. In October I purchased 10 sheep, with 3 lambs that had yet
to be named. The previous owner used the first letter of the mother for
the name. For the first ewe I called her Rosebud, her mother's name is
Roz and it just seemed to fit. For the other two, I named them Ebony and
Ivory. They were twins that look almost identical except one is mostly
black and the other mostly white. For these two I didn't follow there
mother's name that started with an M. I think going forward I will base
it mostly on personality and what comes to me. If I can use the first
letter of the mother I will but who knows. I have yet to begin lambing
and am quickly becoming very impatient. My ewes seems far too
comfortable to be a week overdue!