[Jacob-list] Bloody noses

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 01:13:35 EDT 2007

I think I solved the mystery nose bleed, at least on our farm. I remembered
from last year a couple of other people had sheep with this problem so I
thought I would post this. Yesterday evening at feeding time, two of my
adult ewes got into a pecking order squabble. My three year old ewe, the
same and only one that gets nose bleeds, was vying for top rank with my
oldest ewe. The older ewe who is small but feisty, has a slightly damaged
horn and decided not to fight fair, and ended the fight with a hard bash to
the bridge of the others nose causing a nose bleed. She tried that several
times before placing that winning blow just right. That particular 3 yo. has
always been pushy, so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the dry climate
causing this after all.

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM
Jacob Sheep, Club Lambs, Game Fowl