[Jacob-list] Broken horns, Oxytocin, and Lambs

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 13:26:53 EST 2007

Hi Everyone - We have found that most judges in our area don't know enough about Jacob sheep to pay that particular attention to the horns, especially on a ewe lamb. They definitely wouldn't dismiss a sheep for having disfigured horns. I am assuming you mean disfigured as not the same on both sides.

Congrats on your first Jacob lamb! What are your reasons for giving the younger ewes oxytocin? We have found that the first time moms generally don't have very big bags. All of their lambs have big tummies and are growing well.
We have some ewes that will eat all of the afterbirth, while others leave it. I prefer that they don't eat all of it, so I will remove it if I am there. Good luck with the rest of your lambing!

We are all done with lambing - yahoo! I am glad I don't have to do mid-night barn checks anymore. You can see all of our lambs at - ww.kenleigh-acres.com. We ended up with 36 lambs - 22 ewes and 14 rams. We will be delivering sheep to Idaho and Northern California this Summer, please let us know if you are interested in any of our lambs.

Take care and happy lambing!

Shannon Phifer
Kenleigh Acres Farm
Dexter, OR