[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 33, Issue 15

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:20:55 EDT 2007

I would suggest having a shepherd that is experienced in tubing show you how
to do it. One of our market lambs choked and began to bloat last year and if
she wouldn't have coughed out the obstruction the gentleman I purchased her
from was on his way with a tube. It is a 1/2 in piece of clear flexible but
not flimsy hosing (same as an aquarium gravel siphon hose) with the end
rounded used to push the obstruction down. What he suggested to do to
prevent the problem next time was to put round river rocks big enough that
they can't eat them but small enough that they can move them around a
little in the bottom of the grain trough. Rocks roughly the size of your
fist or a little larger. It makes them work for the grain so they can't eat
it as fast. We haven't had any of our Jacobs choke, but I give grain in a
feeder with quite a bit of loose hay in it so they have to hunt for it. If
the hay is still in flakes they would still have a good chance at
choking I imagine.

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM
Jacob Sheep