[Jacob-list] First Aid Suggestions/opinions please

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 23:52:31 EDT 2007

Hi Jaci!

My "favorite" first aide items are:
coflex bandage
sterile gauze pads
hydrogen peroxide
blood stop powder
baby aspirin
box of baking soda
bottle of mineral oil

I do worm. Living in NC, if I didn't worm, I would
have dead sheep. It is not a good idea to switch
wormers from time-to-time. I would suggest you try and
take a FAMACHA class. That will discuss the different
types of parasites, fecal samples, worming philosophy,
and medications.

Currently, when I do have to worm (based on condition
score of animal and eyelid color/FAMACHA Chart), I am
using Levamisole. It comes in a powder, about $13 from
Jeffers, under the brand name Prohibit. Down side is
it only lasts 3 months (according to package - anyone
know about this? does it last longer, just loose some
strength)?

I have 17 sheep right now. Those who are in good
condition and have good eye color are not wormed.
Those who have lost weight, have just given birth
and/or have poor eye color are wormed. I also worm
lambs at 5 weeks and then watch them closely.

What part of the county are you in?

Joy T.
Son Rise Farm Creedmoor NC
Home of The Fiber Flock