[Jacob-list] Another premature lamb

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 23:41:13 EDT 2007

--Tom wrote

>so i wrote last week about a premature dead lamb, i just pulled (and

pulled)

>a dead premature lamb from another of those small ewes. 2 for 2 seems like

>a bit more than bad luck. the hard pulling was because the little guy had

>his head back and a leg.

==============
I hope you are not having what is called an "abortion storm". I don't know
much about it and have never seen it; I read about it on another list.

>From Laura Lawson's book, Managing Your Ewe and Her Lamb, you need to get

some of the placental and other tissues analyzed in a lab. Her book lists
several infectious organisms. Non-infectious causes are nutritional
deficiencies and/or imbalances and stress related disorders. It might be
time to consult a vet.

I have an older ewe that started to abort when she was seven years old.
She would carry a lamb for four months and abort it. The next lamb was
born healthy. Then she aborted two years in a row and now I don't breed
her anymore. She is the only ewe that did this and it is likely a genetic
problem with that particular ewe. Her daughters have not shown this
problem.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho