[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 23

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 00:31:12 EDT 2007

Wow, I want your hay prices. $3.50 for square bales even if they are grass
hay is fantastic. Most of the good hay ground here, the best in CA, went
into housing developments last year. I bought grass hay for 7.50 per bale
and it isn't even that great, tumbleweeds every other bale, some fox tails,
and even cow poo, I'm not too happy its not the quality we got last year,
and don't even try to buy alfalfa right now. A good friend of ours
has one 60 acre field of alfalfa, he used to farm 600 last year but
the owner of the ground sold it out from under him, and he told us not to
buy it right now. Summer cheap price used to get down to $5.50 a bale around
here and now we can't touch it for under $15. No one in our area bales in
round bales as most of the hay is sold to dairies or shipped by truck, but
we are noticing a shift to giant bales... unfortunately.

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM
Jacob Sheep
www.idealjacobsheep.com