[Jacob-list] round bale users

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:17:05 EDT 2007

Howdy Listers

I know I have seen this issue discussed before but don't remember the
answers. Given the dry weather in my area (PA) looks like there won't
be a second hay cutting. SO I am researching whether to feed round
bales rather than the small square bales I have been using. I know of
at least one person who does that; I think they just have the bale
outside on the ground. It seems like I remember the sheep get messier
but I am not sure that is an important criterion versus having to hay
feed from now through next year (worst case scenario of course)...

any info would be welcome re what kind of storage options and feeders
options there are for horned sheep.

I have a big barn and outbuildings to store in but probably single
layer if I can put a little forklift on my old John Deere tractor. I
understand too that orchard grass weights lots less than alfalfa
(something like 650-700 lbs vs 1100 lbs). Does that sound about
right?

thanks for any info y'all can send
Ralene

--