[Jacob-list] Pelt processing

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 12:31:17 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/30/2007 9:16:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:

Meg Steensland <beegal7 at yahoo.com> wrote:
I just got back 2 pelts from Bucks and agree - they do great work ... My
friend Dennis sends all his pelts there and is very happy with BUCKS.

CARL FOSBRINK <carlfosbrink at yahoo.com> wrote:
We use Bucks too and are pleased with their work.
Carl

Robin Lynde <rlynde at onramp113.org> wrote:
I have used Bucks County (Pennsylvania) and Stern's (Wisconsin) with good
luck. However, there was a big fire at Stern's last month. They are in the
process of rebuilding, but it will be a couple of months or more before they
are up and running again.
Robin Lynde
We've been using Stern's to tan all of our pelts and but as Robin mentioned
they'll be down for a few months due to a fire. Stern's charges a flat fee
regardless of pelt size or fiber length so you know exactly what you'll be
paying per pelt. I called Bucks County last week and the fellow I talked with
was incredibly vague as to what the pricing would be. He gave me a range from
$20 to $60 per pelt. Apparently bigger pelts with longer wool would be at
the higher end of the range. In addition to Jacobs we also raise
Navajo-Churro sheep (which tend to have larger pelts with longer staple lengths then
Jacobs), so I asked he could give me some way I might be able estimate in advance
what our pelts might cost (i.e., add x $ for pelts larger then x square
inches or with wool over x inches) but he couldn't do that.

We have a bunch of salted pelts ready to go out but it makes me a bit
nervous to send stuff out when I have no idea what it's going to cost. Would those
of you who've been using Bucks County be willing to gave me an idea of what
you're paying to have your pelts processed (both Jacob and other larger
breeds)? Also, how long is it taking to get pelts back? Thanks in advance,
Karen Lobb

bide a wee farm
registered Jacob & Navajo-Churro Sheep
Visit our 2007 lambs at: www.bideaweefarm.com/2007lambs.htm

19562 NE Calkins Lane, Newberg, OR 97132 ~ 503-538-7987
karen at bideaweefarm.com ~ www.bideaweefarm.com