[Jacob-list] Ewes Breeding Out of Season

Leigh Nelson shmee1 at mail.com
Sun Jul 1 22:47:40 EDT 2007

This year I had four yearling lambs that I did not want bred due to age,
so I had them isolated from my ram. I had five ewes exposed to the ram
in late October and started lambing in late March. When the pregnant
ewes started lambing I moved the ram in with the yearlings figuring it
was okay since breeding season was done. I live in Northern Ontario
(Canada), so our days start to lengthen in early January.

Once the five ewes finished lambing I put everybody, ewes, lambs,
yearlings, and ram, together for about three months. I moved the ram and
ram lambs into a second pen a couple of weeks ago and kept all the ewes
and ewe lambs together. So I figured all was good, then today I noticed
that my four yearling ewes are starting to bag up, putting them due
mid-August and bred end of March. Is this to be expected since they were
exposed to the ram in March? I thought they would only breed from June
to January!

Do other people mix the flock together after lambing is done or is this a
recipe for trouble? I would be interested to hear what other peoples
routines and experiences.

Thanks,
Leigh

--