[Jacob-list] New here

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 10:32:17 EST 2007

Several routes. Go to jsba.org t see other Jacob sheep people in your area. Some of the agriculture universities have extensive info on sheep in general at their websites. osu.edu (OH) Indiana, and Oklahoma come to mind.

Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep is a book to read and refer to often. There are college level texts on sheep and goats - maybe try half.com - I have an old one from the 80's - think it is lent out.

I live in OH and we are having a meeting the 20th here in central OH with maybe 15 farms invited - we invite fiber enthusiasts as well as others with less common breeds. Last Jan we havd 9 people from up to 2 hrs away.

One big thing to watch for in sheep is copper toxicity - they are more sensitive than goats - otherwise, the same general practices apply.

Kellie Bombard <cerabell at hotmail.com> wrote:

I am new around here and recently rescued 3 Jacobs from a neglect situation with a mini donkey.. I need to learn all I can as I have never had sheep. Did own a goat for about 9 months and have all sorts of other animals but these are our first sheep.
Thanks
Kellie