[Jacob-list] Newbie Lambing Questions

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 00:23:08 EST 2007

Well, kinda Newbies.. Rusty at least, as it has been 10 yrs since my last
lamb crop hit the ground, and this is the first crop of Jacobs.

I have a few aged ewes that are bagging, and looking more "ready'. One ewe
has sticky yellow syrupy clostrum. Another ewe has very little liquid but
it is turning yellow, and another older ewe with not much udder mass, and a
tiny bit of clear liquid. I'm guessing the ewe with the bigger bag should lamb
in the next couple days.. Good assumption?

I am awaiting the breeding dates of these girls, but know it should be soon
as one of the ewes has a 10 day old lamb ( I've only owned this flock for 8
days!)

Anything out of the ordinary I should expect with Jacobs? I am lambing the
ewes in my Horse foaling stalls.. I have 4 ewes per 16 x 14 stall and have
jugs available. I had planned on letting the ewes lamb in the stall and them
move them to a jug once the lamb(s) are born.Is this a good theory? This is
what we did with my Border Cheviots.

I've been reading thru the archives, and see many different feedings
practices, and am still working out the quirks of mine, but am curious if anyone has
successfully used any type of hay feeder? I had the Premier panel feeder
made with wood for my sheep in the past.... I'm curious if this will work if I
change the angle of the "V" for the hay feeder and make it more of an acute
triangle.. More like 20 degrees instead of the 45 degree angle?

My fleeces are in poor shape this year, as the ewes really broke wool.. They
are out of Oklahoma, so I'm guessing the drought stressed them. So I'm not
too worried about keeping the fleece clean for now, but would like to keep
them in better shape for next year.

Any input you would like to give would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.aol.com.