[Jacob-list] Crimp and micron counts

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Dec 25 22:09:41 EST 2007

Betty and I have been round and round on this a couple of dozen times. there are a few things to keep in mind, especially if you are sending off samples for micron counting.

Jacob sheep have crimp in the fleece, but shouldn't have defined fleece crimp. The difference is that in order to have defined fleece crimp, the fleece has to be rather uniform. That is, there is very little variation within the fleece in micron diameter. A Corriedale and a Jacob may well have the same Average Micron Diameter, but the standard deviation figure in the micron count should be greater for a Jacob's fleece. A coarse fleece may well have a low std. dev. and have defined fleece crimp AND fell like brillo.

A fleece with TOO large a std.dev. is likely a double fleece. This will show up in the graph of fibers from the sample as two overlapped bell curves.

If I had a preference, I would like to see us set a range for Std. dev. if we set a range for AMD.

Neal