[Jacob-list] Help, Is this one of those scams?

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue Dec 11 05:57:09 EST 2007

Having several breeds is not a real problem. I have always had more than one breed here. I never keep the rams with the ewes except for 18 days a year. I spend entirely too much time out with the sheep to want to be constantly watching my back because of rams. They live in a separate area, having two acres most of the year, and in winter, a huge pen surrounded by cattle panels, and by electronetting as a safety net, with the girls nearby in electronetting, the whole winter quarters surrounded by high tensile, 7 strand straight wire. In July, when the little boys are weaned from mamas, they go in with papas to learn what it means to be a ram. From there, they are sold or slaughtered. The little girls are weaned and then return to the field with their mamas. It works well. I often have grandchildren or other kids here, who like to spend time with the sheep, so I don't want any rams out there with the girls...too much chance of having a child injured.

They are only together 18 days. In twelve years, with an average of 15 bred a year in 2-4 breeding groups, the rams have missed maybe 6 ewes. Probably more like 4, but ...I'd rather have that happen than have them in for two cycles and have lambs over 6 weeks. Three weeks of lambing is plenty for me.