[Jacob-list] Karakul Fleece?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Dec 8 20:19:13 EST 2007

I was thinking that Jennifer was looking for a fleece that would be easy to process and spin - with no other goal in mind than to . Just don't see Karakul as the best learner fleece. I think it's a challenging fleece to work with.

When I learned to spin, I didn't have any processing equipment and no source of fiber. I did attend a class where the teacher handed me a gob of wool and told me to fluff it and spin it. My stepmother/friend sent me combings from her work with wolf hybrid rescue so most of my first spinning was of the "hand fluff and spin" method. It was a good learning experience. I can spin the eyebrows off a butterfly if I want - and I can catch a butterfly and hold it long enough to find the eyebrows :-) .

As far as learning - I just think that Jacob is an easier fleece to learn with than Karakul. Maybe I'm backwards, but first I learned to spin and then looked for ways to use my yarn.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com