[Jacob-list] Karakul Fleece?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Dec 8 17:48:16 EST 2007

Just my two cents worth (since no one else will give me two cents *smile*), I think a typical Jacob fleece is way easier to process and spin than a Karakul. There is no crimp or elasticity to Karakul (no "grab") which makes it harder to spin to where it will hold together. You can spin Jacob with hardly any twist and it will make yarn - it's a very forgiving fiber. Ten years or so ago, I bought alot of raw fleece from different breeds to process and spin up just to play with some fibers. Jacob is one of the best beginner's fleece - easy to process and easy to spin. Unless wool staple length is really short (less than two inches, maybe), it won't have as much to do with ease of spinning as fleece structure. If there's some "bounce/crimp/elasticity" in the staple, there is a natural tendency for the fibers to adhere to each other - they spring back and comingle when you release them onto the bobbin. If there is no "bounce/crimp/elasticity", you have to put alot of twist to hold it together. It's like trying to twirl your hair into yarn. A fleece length over 6" can be hard to process on hand cards. Just try it and see how it goes - you'll learn something (and see why you decided on Jacobs!).

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com