[Jacob-list] Hay woes

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 19:18:51 EDT 2007

--Linda wrote:

>Is there any advantage to supplementing with the livestock blend over

supplementing with corn? I do, of course, have free >choice minerals
available and use a Blue Seal nutritional tub at some times of the year.
==========
I don't know about feeding corn, but if you are also feeding a nutritional
tub, then it sounds good to me. I would feed some hay to keep the rumen
healthy.

I use Livestock Blend primarily as a substitute for alfalfa. It helps make
the amount of alfalfa we buy last longer. Alfalfa now is $5 to $7 a bale
while grass hay is $2 to $4 a bale, some are selling at higher prices this
year. With the Livestock Blend, I can get cheaper, less quality grass hay;
although most of the grass hay we buy is the best quality available.

Land O' Lakes Co. makes Livestock Blend. It is a pellet feed made from
grain and plant products (makes one wonder what is in that), has protein,
fat, fiber, calcium, selenium and other minerals (no copper), and the
vitamins A, D, and E. There is some corn kernels, but more could be added.
They also added some molasses, so I feed lightly in order to prevent rumen
upset leading to bloating, polio, etc. I always follow the pellet feed
with some grass hay to keep the rumen healthy.

There are other brands of similar feed sold at feed and tack stores, in
fact, Wal-Mart sells general livestock feed in 40 lb bags, at about the
same price, but Livestock Blend has 10 lbs more feed per bag and is cheaper
by the ton.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho