[Jacob-list] training judges

Brenalan Farm info at brenalanfarm.com
Wed Aug 8 00:23:53 EDT 2007

I don't know how easy or practical this is in the sheep world, but have seen
in the dog world that certain breed groups host judge training seminars at
major shows, where leading breeders sit with invited judges. They offer
their critiques and commentaries as the individual animals are judged, and
do things like review the breed standard as a group with lots of opportunity
for Q&A, discussion of strong and weak points in the breed, regional
variation, etc. This works best at shows where a large number of excellent
animals are presented and also where various faults are also evident. The
judge in action that day is not part of the seminar, and the invitees are
not judging at that show- it is strictly an event for the purpose of letting
experts on the breed share their knowledge with judge candidates who care
enough to learn more from those who know and care the most about the breed.
Obviously, we all tend to be happy (and send in entries) when judges who
bothered to learn about our breed at a seminar are judging a particular
show. That said, I have also seen lots of cases where judges would be more
appreciated if they said less about what was going through their heads while
lining up the animals! I particularly appreciate the comments that provide
guidance for our breeding program- like "This is a nice ewe except for some
britchiness" or "Northwest dogs are getting a little too long in the loin"
vs. "This ewe is being moved down because she broke a horn tip."

Brenda