[Jacob-list] Overseeding Winter Rye?

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 23:07:56 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/18/2006 1:37:17 PM Central Standard Time,
pfarms at alltel.net writes:

> Anyone overseed winter rye over your existing forage?  I have Bermudagrass
> which will go dormant fairly early and is somewhat late restarting in the
> Spring.
>
> Rich
>
> Richard Boosey
> Purrfleece Farms
> Mount Vernon AR
> Jacob and Shetland Sheep and Crosses

We live down the road from you northeast of Dallas.  We too have the remnants
of a coastal pasture ...  drought last year in 2005 ... seeded, no rain, no
rye grass; we are in a 50 year drought this year ... and there is no soil
moisture into which to overseed.   In "normal" times we have overseeded and it has
been very successful.  Our Jacobs prefer the rye to the coastal, hay grazer
(sudan) to rye and coastal.

We usually hay and grain thru pregnancy and lactation.  This year we have
been haying since June and this year is the first year we have had to feed grain
in the "summer".  We are 28 inches behind in rain .... had 42 days 100+.  Clay
soil is like concrete and wonn't accept fertilizer or seed this year unless
we get 10 inches of slow rain during the next two weeks.  Ag extension here
recommends doing nothing until the drought breaks.  Check with you county ag
agent for their "guess" ... or "gas" ... for rye weather.

Forage crops here were about 40%-60% of normal for the first cutting, no one
in our area has gotten a second cut muchless the normal three and sometimes
four. Forty pound square bale is 7.50 - 9.00.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
Lucas, TX  75002