[Jacob-list] thumps and bumps

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Sep 16 22:01:29 EDT 2006

I find that I often need to work sheep by myself. Dogs sometimes do little
more than get in the way.

For catching the flock, it is helpful to have a funnel arrangement that
turns so that the sheep are fooled into thinking that they can escape by
going around the corner. 16 foot livestock panels can be curved to avoid
having corners for animals to balk in., and the sheep may be in the narrow
part be fore they wise up.

I like to use a 12 X 12 catch pen divided by two folding 8 foot gates. Sheep
may be bunched behind the gates and worked off individually around the end.

With Jacob sheep, I find that trapping the beast against a wall with my knee
while I work on them works well. It is even better if you can pull their
front feet off the ground to prevent them from getting traction.

Neal Grose