[Jacob-list] thumps and bumps

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 20:17:22 EDT 2006

Hi All
A question about working sheep by oneself.  Has anyone found a way to
pen sheep by yourself?  My husband has had carpel tunnel surgery on
both wrists so we are coming up with new schemes.  Last weekend we
figured out how he could take notes and hand me things but I was proud
of my success of wrangling the girls on my own.  There were a couple
of wethers mixed in that were too tall to straddle and two ewes too
round, but the rest of us managed quite well.

 Today I decided to clean up a fleece of a ewe who had a touch of
diarrhea but seems fine now.  I cornered and caught her and drug her
to my handling panels and then realized I had accidently trapped
another ewe by herself.  She panicked and sproinged.  It surprised
both of us when she caught me straight in the chest!  : )  Anyway I
kept my hold on my first ewe and went about my business when I got my
wind back but...

I know several of you have wrestled with the idea of how to work sheep
as things change with health etc of another helper.  OR as the kids
age and move away.  Do the chutes like those I see in premier one
work?  Or is it really tricky to get them in?  Do those chutes  make
it likely sheep will break horns?  Has anybody found anything
lightweight enough to help push the sheep to the panels without injury
to sheep and shepherd?

I hope I still have another decade or two left to handle my sheep
myself but accidents like this make me think about handling designs
that are a little safer : )  I know jacobs and dogs don't always work
out but maybe that would be enough help?
Ralene

--
Ralene Mitschler
Chicory Lane Farm Jacob sheep